Tuesday, January 29, 2008


In honor of President Gordon B. Hinckley, we are organizing a special tribute for his funeral. Most of us have had the pleasure of seeing him greet the masses with a wave of his cane. It became his signature over the past few years, and we all got a good laugh when he used his cane to wave to the masses instead of using it to help him walk.
To honor the man, and his great sense of humor, we would like to line the streets between the Conference Center and cemetery, hopefully with thousands of admirers, waving canes as the cortage passes. I have set up this site to disseminate information about the funeral and the tribute as it becomes available.
I ask that you send a link to this blog to as many people as you can, and ask them in your message to do the same. This way we can reach as many people as possible, and give this great man a fitting tribute.
The funeral will be held on Saturday, February 2, at 11:00 a.m. in the Conference Center. It is estimated to go on for 1-2 hours. Those wishing to participate should be in place at around noon. The exact route of the funeral procession has not yet been determined, but will most likely go east on North Temple or South Temple into The Avenues to the Salt Lake Cemetery. Please check back often or check the newspaper or TV for updates on the funeral and procession.
Also, for those that would like to attend, a viewing will be held in the Conference Center on Thursday and Friday, from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The funeral procession will most likely leave the Conference Center from the underground exit on West Temple, then go to South Temple and turn left (east) and proceed to 'N'Street to the City Cemetery.

Unknown said...

Whew!!! I'm so glad I found this blog! I saw the plans for the tribute on the news last night and even though I can't be there to participate I want to wish you the best of luck on this tribute.

I have quite a few friends that live in the Salt Lake area. I will be sure to pass this blog along. Hopefully they can go wave a cane in my stead.

^^o

Christie said...

What a lovely idea!

Russ said...

My wife and I will be in the Conference Center for the funeral and will not be able to line the streets, but we will each wave a handkerchief in a final farewell to our beloved prophet. God bless you for this idea, it reminds me of the youth texting each other on sunday night to wear their sunday best on monday at school. This is the kind of thing that Elder Ballard suggested at commencment for BYU Hawaii in December. I recomend that talk to everyone.

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/using-new-media-to-support-the-work-of-the-church